What types of activities are covered by Study Away?
An application for Study Away must be completed and approved by your supervisor before undertaking activities related to your research project such as:
- Research conferences
- Workshops/classes away from the University
- Research with collaborators independent of the University of Melbourne.
When do I need to apply?
You should submit a Study Away application if you intend undertaking study-away related travel:
- outside of Australia
- within Australia for greater than four weeks
- within Australia for less than four weeks and you expect to receive a bursary or scholarships payment to cover travel expenses
- within Australia for less than four weeks and you are claiming expenses that are directly related to the travel
Applications for Study Away must be made at least 10 University business days prior to departure.
High risk destinations
If you are travelling to a high risk destination your applications should be submitted 20 business days prior to travel.
If you are travelling to a high risk destination, be sure to read: Safety — Travel, conferences and fieldwork
You need to apply via email to the Academic Registrar – firstname.lastname@example.org – to gain permission to travel to high risk destinations. These applications should be made at least 6 weeks before your departure date.
Key points to discuss with your supervisor
Discuss the following topics with your supervisor before applying:
- Progress, deadlines, meetings with your supervisor/advisory committee
- Safety (your health, risk assessment)
- Ethics approval(s)
- Supervision (an external supervisor is required if you are away for more than 3 months, or another approved arrangement must be organised).
Ready to apply?
Before you apply for Study Away, familiarise yourself with the University guide to Travel, Conference and Fieldwork on the Graduate Research Hub.
Return to this page to proceed with your application.