Health and wellbeing

There are a number of services at the University and in the greater community to help you maintain your health and wellbeing.

If you witness an emergency on or around campus, call Security on:

If you believe the crisis is life threatening, call 000 before calling security.

There’s nothing more important than your health and wellbeing. If there’s something that’s stopping you from completing your studies at your best, we’d like to help as much as we can.


Everyone has the right to feel safe. The Safer Community Program (SCP) gives you the opportunity to pass on behaviour of concern before it develops into something serious. The program promotes a respectful, inclusive, and connected campus community that fosters safe learning, working and living at the University of Melbourne. The SCP provides the opportunity to seek support and advice about behaviours of concern. Please visit the safer community webpage for more information.

Mental Health Crisis

If you, a family member, friend or classmate is facing a mental health emergency or crisis, contact the Counselling and Psychological Services.

Equity and Diversity

Melbourne School of Engineering is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do. You can speak to Prof. Elaine Wong , Assistant Dean, Equity and Diversity, if you have any questions or concerns.

Academic Skills Unit (ASU)

The Academic Skills Unit is your student support and resources hub for all things writing, research, study and wellbeing. They offer one-on-one consultations, online resources and regular workshops designed to help your learning and professional development. Looking to improve your performance, manage your time and keep your stress levels in check? ASU is for you.

Counselling and Psychological Servics (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides counseling, training and personal development opportunities to help you find your full academic and professional potential.

CAPS actively promotes the overall mental and physical health and wellbeing of all members of the University community – helping you get the most out of your time here and prepare for life beyond university.

Mindfulness online

Mindfulness training seeks to help you think objectively about the situations that stress you, while maintaining awareness of your body and your physical responses to those stresses.

CAPS has created online resources for you to start becoming aware of both the physical and mental reactions to stress, so you can understand and control them.

External Mental Health Support

As well as the support CAPS offers, there are a number of community support services and local organisations that can help you with health and wellbeing:

University Health Service

The University Health Service is a general practitioner service. Services include:

The University Health Service will also refer you to outside specialists when necessary.

There are male and female doctors, are you are usually able to see the doctor of your choice.

Consultations are strictly confidential.

Student Equity and Disability Support

Disability Liaison provides advice and support to students who need ongoing support with their studies, so you can receive equitable participation and allow you to reach your full potential.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid provides advice and information on:

All confidential consultations are designed to help you control your finances and any stress they may be causing you.

Housing Services

Housing Services provides advice on any matters relating to accommodation, including:

Housing Services also provides crisis accommodation if you are experiencing homelessness, and short-term accommodation under the Student Housing Access Program (SHAP) if you are struggling to find accommodation.

International Student Services

International Student Services provides a range of services and are an important point of contact for international students. ISS can provide information and case-management for any issues relating to your visa status, OSHC requirements and immigration policy. They regularly liaise with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and can provide up-to-date information on various aspects of immigration policy and procedure.

Advisers are available to meet with you or discuss issues over the phone.


Chaplains are representatives of different faith groups in the wider community, who are placed in the University by their respective faith group with the approval of the Vice-Chancellor. Chaplaincy is one way that religious groups connect with and serve the University community.

Each Chaplain is financially supported by their own religious tradition, and the University provides the offices and structural support. Each of the Chaplains, appointed with the approval of the Vice Chancellor, is required to work within a context of respect for all religions and expressions of faith.

Chaplains are not employed by the University, but by the faith group to whom they are accountable.


If you are juggling kids with study, the University of Melbourne offers a wide range of children's services to help you manage your competing demands:

Independent/Student Society Support

There are a number of ways you can find other ways you can find support as a student: